songs in my rotation, that should be in yours. Videos begin in June 2006 Archive... Video killed the MTV star!

Sunday, March 05, 2006

2nd Rotation - Chicks - Love'em Hate'em

Next picks:

1) Jack Off Jill - Love Song
Last blog, I had The Cure's original version on the list. Jack Off Jill's version is what a cover should be. They took the song and punkified it. They maintained the pain of Robert Smith and added a touch of Marilyn Manson. Hmm scary new beast.

2) Feist - Inside Out
Ok.. mellowing out here a little. My first CanCon addition. Leslie Feist, former punk rocker got the 2005 Juno for new artist of the year. This is an awesome track laid over a mellow pop-hop beat. Love the false turn table mix at the end & the synth hook.

3) Corinne Bailey Rae - Put Your Record On
In the style of Norah Jones / Macy Gray, this song should get her on the hit list for 2006. It's a simple basic, pretty track that focuses on her vocals. Not enough of a hook to make this a smash hit. Her and Natasha Bedingfield should be battling it out the next little while. MMmmm... Natasha and Corinne in the same room. (*sigh*) Oh no, I think hear Daniel (Natasha's pop singing brother) coming over to kick my ass.

4) Joni Mitchell - Big Yellow Taxi
I think, the album "Miles of Aisles" may have been the only English "tape" that my mother ever bought. As a kid, I played that song over and over and over on a cheap broken down tape deck till it finally got chewed up in the machine. Then I cried. But as far as I remember, it may have been the first English song that wasn't on Sesamee Street that I can recall. I do remember that listening to Joni laugh at the end of the song always made me giggle. It still does.

5) Rihanna - SOS (Rescue Me)
Good use of the Tainted Love hook. When you take a classic riff like that, it can come out horrible on new remixes (i.e. half of hip-hop now a days). Led by Jay-Z, we'll see how she fairs in 2006 after a good start in 2005 with Pon De Replay. Not bad for just turning 18.

Lame:

Saving Jane - Girl Next Door
Ok this is what bad teenage angst is all about. She blurts out everything a 15 year old girl would fear on a lame track. Boo-hoo, cry me a river. Go listen to Wheatus (Teenage Dirtbag) and maybe you'll feel better: I do have two tickets to Iron Maiden baby, would you like to join me maybe? Well too bad, I'd be arrested in most states for that!!

Pussycat Dolls - Beep
Please! Like kids, they should be seen not heard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Counter