songs in my rotation, that should be in yours. Videos begin in June 2006 Archive... Video killed the MTV star!

Monday, March 06, 2006

3rd Rotation - Dawgs turn

Ok Dawgs turn:

1) Fatboy Slim - Wonderful Night (featuring Lateef)
What do you get when you take a Cali Gangsta and mix in the best electronic producer in the world? The best song of 2004 that no one in North America knows about. Fatboy Slim AKA Norman Cook AKA Quentin Leo Cook, has been producing hits since the 80s ala Housemartins (Caravan of Love) then Beats International (Dub Be Good To Me) and then finally some North American Recognition with the memorable video "Praise You" in the guise of Fatboy Slim (An amateur looking dance troop dancing in front of a movie theatre).

2) Black Eyed Peas - Pump It
Misirlou. You know it. At least the Dick Dale version. The song from Pulp Fiction? Bellydancing surfing sound. It was weird, my dad had a record that had all these surfer instrumental music that had Misirlou and Apache (Jerry Lordan - The Shadows hit that topped the UK chart in 1960). I always wanted to take these songs and remix them, but once Misirlou got popular because of Pulp I kind of dropped the idea. The BEP version makes good use of the sample and will be a sure fire hit in 2006.

3) James Moody - Moody's Mood For Love
Listening to this song makes me feel sophistimacated. It's sassy Jazz that only really sassy people should be listening to. It's not me, but during the moment, I too feel like I could be Bond. It makes me feel... like an adult. Then the song ends, and I'm listening to Pump It.

4) David Bowie - Space Oddity
Easily the single greatest work of art of all time. There is no way this song could be made today. The song tells the haunting story of Major Tom taking a space flight and things start to go wrong. The fact that it tells a story, and uses the instrumental to end the story just couldn't happen today. It captures the moment of the era and is just brilliant.

5) Bootsy Collins - The Joker (Fatboy Slim Mix)
This is a cover of the Steve Miller Band version. Now usually I'm against cover songs that don't do much to the original, but just because it's Bootsy Collins shizzle fizzle nizzle baby! It makes the lyrics that much more believable! I'm a lover, I'm a sinner, I'm a joker, a shizzle fizzle dizzle midnight toker.

Lame Duds:
Bubba Sparxx - Ms Booty
Bubba give it up already.. you had your one hit wonder. Stay on the farm and stay ugly.

Theory of a Dead Man - Better Off
Oh so forgettable song. It's so mediocre, I don't even remember what I don't like about it. We're better off without it, thanks!

Gary Glitter - Rock 'N Roll Part 2
You might collect royalties everytime this is played in some sports stadium somewhere, but it'll be pretty hard to do anything with it from your vietnamese jail cell (for child molestation). As Homer Simpson would say - nah nah nah nah hey nah nah nah

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Counter