songs in my rotation, that should be in yours. Videos begin in June 2006 Archive... Video killed the MTV star!

Monday, March 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom

So I had Jesus Built My Hotrod as music for when you're experiencing a little road rage, and if Drowning Pool's Bodies happens to have kicked in on the MP3 player, look out and get out of my $#%$@ way.

Now in all reality, I need some music to put me in that happy spot, or calm me down a little without putting me to sleep when I'm behind the wheel. Here are my picks:

1) Iggy Pop - The Passenger
This is just a great happy song that puts me in that happy zone. Great upbeat guitar riff with Iggy's twangish voice. This was probably Iggy's best work. He remained unstoned just long enough to come up with this, but most people know "Lust for Life" from the movie Trainspotting.

2) Depeche Mode - Behind The Wheel/Route 66
The bookies take a beating, as they wouldn't have figured for me to be on the 7th blog to name a DM Song. Route 66 is great example of cover of the Nat King Cole hit of the same name. The 1986 Album Music For The Masses which this song resides, may represent DM's peak synth pop success.

3) Gary Numan - Cars
How can you not listen to this classic late 70s electro pop hit while on some long road trip to no where? Probably the first synth pop superstar, he paved the way for the new generation of 80s new wave artists. This song was later sampled by Euro DJ sensation Armand Van Helden in the 2000 hit song Koochy and also covered by Fear Factory (with Gary on Vocals) in 1999.

4) Kate Bush - Running Up That Hill
This hypnotic three octive songstress could probably mellow out Mike Tyson. This song is my favourite in a long line of wonderful songs from her. "Running" beats out "Wuthering Heights" in my books for being a little more memorable and less Bjorkish.

5) Death Cab for Cutie - I'll Follow You Into The Dark
I'll have to admit, I don't know much about this 2005 surprise hit group. They've been highly exposed having tracks on hit shows like The O.C., Six Feet Under and the movie Wedding Crashers. Nice little diddy, and interesting lyrics.

6) Mogwai - Take Me Somewhere Nice
Normally I'm not much of a fan of the instrumentalists, but this mostly instrumental song from the Scottish post-rock genre band should chill you out in your moment of rage. FYI, Mogwais are named after the critters from the movie Gremlins. Huh, how bout that? Now take a toke.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Counter