songs in my rotation, that should be in yours. Videos begin in June 2006 Archive... Video killed the MTV star!

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Billboard

Crazy busy for the last couple of weeks. I finally managed to finish collecting the Billboard Top 100 songs from 1980 - present. Now I can't say I'm the biggest pop fan there is, but it does play a role. We all know them, and it does bring back memories. Songs I may not have liked back in the eighties are not palatible. So the next series will be my top pop picks for each year starting with 1980:

US Boycotts the Moscow Olympics
Namco releases Pac Man
Ronald Regan is elected
John Lennon is shot dead

#1 Hit: Blondie - Call Me

My Picks: well already listed Gary Numan's Cars earlier.

1)Lipps, Inc - Funky Town
"Gotta Move On" very symbolic of the end of the disco era. Still holds up well and isn't often directly associated as the best of disco but unique with the electronic distortions. Funky

2)KC & The Sunshine Band - Please Don't Go
Wasn't a big KC fan, and have you seen him lately? Yikes. But this is easily my favourite KC song. Later retaken and made into a dance hit by Double You

3)Dan Fogelberg - Longer
Okokok.. The bookmakers takes a beating on this one. Yes "Longer" is ultra cheese fromage ballad. But it gets onto to the list because of the "it's so bad it's good". This and Minnie Riperton's "Loving You" will either have you laughing or crying. Listening to this right now is already making me giggle. Let me go find Minnie now... La la la la la - doo'em doo do do doooo..

4) Smokey Robinson - Crusin
Ok back to a real pick. This is also the end of the motown generation from the 50s & 60s. The commodores have a last couple of hits before Lionel takes a solo career. But that rich soulful sound begins to disapear from pop music, and is probably finally taken away with Marvin Gaye being shot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Counter